Position Title: Director of Logistics and Optimization
Reports To: CFO
Direct Reports: 0-2
Min. Required Hours Weekly: 40
Required Travel: minimal
SIC Code: T.B.D.
Location: Salem Plant Flexible
Annual Salary Range: D.O.E.
Crimson Renewable Energy and its subsidiary SeQuential Biodiesel are producers of renewable transportation fuels; specifically, we are the largest producer of biodiesel in California and Oregon. Crimson customers ranging from major oil companies such as to national truck stop operators count on Crimson as a reliable and consistent supplier of ultra-low carbon biodiesel.
Since commencing biodiesel production in Oregon in 2007 and in California in 2011, Crimson and its SeQuential Biodiesel subsidiary have grown to become market leaders in the California and Oregon alternative fuels market, which combined represent the largest market for alternative diesel fuels in the United States. Our mission is to build a better energy model by making sustainable ultra-low carbon fuels and help our customers achieve carbon reduction and sustainability goals.
Crimson has consistently grown revenue and profitability since startup and is accelerating its growth trajectory. Crimson currently employs nearly 300 people, and is a privately owned, closely held company. Throughout its history, Crimson has held onto its startup culture characterized by the pursuit of excellence combined with an emphasis on customer responsiveness, integrity, strong work ethic, teamwork, safety and accountability at all levels. In summary, we work very hard to do a better job than our competitors in operational execution and managing the myriad market and commodity risks inherent in our business.
Building a sustainable future of fuels today
The Director of Logistics and Optimization will lead a team responsible for the inbound and outbound scheduling and actualization of feedstocks, finished products and co-products. Additionally, the director role will have primary responsibility for managing the company’s inventory position and optimization of business processes for actualization and inventory planning. The director role will assume leadership of building a high-performing logistics organization through interventions in performance, processes, systems, and organizational health.
This role will assess and build a common understanding of existing process challenges, collaborate to create a vision for the future state, plan for change, support implementation. The director will drive a culture of continuous improvement across Crimson, and utilize fact-based, pragmatic solutions to improve company performance. This work should be carried out in a manner that is respectful, constructive, energetic and guided by the values and objectives of the company.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Conduct business in a manner that is aligned with the company’s mission and core values of Crimson
- Manages overall company inventory planning, forecasting and monitoring.
- Coach operations and financial personnel around developing best practices
- Ensure clear ownership exists across the organization for all projects and processes.
- Develop a framework for managing timely execution of logistics activities and actualization processes, while identifying any resourcing needs.
- Utilizes deep knowledge of existing systems and processes to build capabilities within the logistics and finance organizations. This role is expected to teach others “to fish”
- Openly and collaboratively challenges the status quo, high level of focus on maximizing value across the enterprise
- Manage third-party relationships, ensuring high-level of customer service is achieved
- Actively champions and adheres to the company’s safety protocols.
- 10+ years of experience in energy commodity scheduling.
- Understanding of, and experience with managing of truck and rail freight, transloading, terminal storage, and related logistics.
- Working knowledge of inventory management, replenishment and supply chain management processes and systems.
- Ability to analyze and re-engineer / adapt business processes to achieve greater efficiency and improved execution.
- Progressive growth from individual contributor to leadership of people and process.
- Innovative thinker with strong ability to influence change.
- Technically savvy. Core understanding of commodity management software, ERP, excel.
- Proven ability operating in dynamic fast-paced environments.
- Demonstrated negotiation skills and experience.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and time management skills.
- Must be a strong, effective verbal and written communicator.
- Ability to work effectively with people at all levels in an organization.
- Basic financial literacy. Understand financial outcomes of operational decisions.
Work Environment & Travel
Office location will be flexible for this role, moderate travel to Crimson offices should be anticipated.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred.
- 10+ years of progressive energy industry experience, in scheduling and/or inventory planning.