Position: Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Work Location: Denver, CO (Downtown)
Reports To: CEO
Supervisory Responsibilities: Accounting, Finance, Regulatory and IT Groups
About Crimson Renewable Energy
Crimson Renewable Energy Holdings LLC and its subsidiaries (Crimson Reenable Energy LP and Sequential Biodiesel LLC, Sequential Environmental Service LLC, collectively “Crimson”) are producers of renewable transportation fuels, specifically the largest producer of biodiesel in California and Oregon. Crimson customers ranging from major oil companies such as Chevron, Valero, Exxon, and Philips 66 to truck stop operators such as Pilot Flying J and Love’s count on Crimson as a reliable and consistent supplier of ultra-low carbon biodiesel. Additionally, Crimson is one of the largest providers of used cooking oil collection services in the Pacific Northwest and California. Crimson, headquartered in Denver, Colorado, provides a variety of timing, logistics, and pricing structures to best suit its various customers and to offer the highest degree of flexibility to its supply chain partners.
Since commencing biodiesel production in California late 2011, Crimson has grown to become a market leader in the California and Oregon alternative fuels industry, which collectively represent the largest market for biodiesel in the United States. Crimson has consistently grown revenue since startup and is expecting record revenue in 2018 of more than $150 million and ~ $200 mil in 2019. Crimson is a privately owned, closely held company. Throughout its growth trajectory, Crimson has held onto its startup culture characterized by the pursuit of excellence combined with an emphasis on customer responsiveness, integrity, strong work ethic, teamwork, and accountability at all levels. In summary, we work very hard to do a better job than our competitors in operational and back-office execution and managing the myriad of market and commodity risks inherent in our business.
Crimson is looking for a CFO to play a key role in consolidating newly acquired subsidiaries, improving operational effectiveness and efficiency, and driving the company’s continued growth via organic growth initiatives and additional acquisitions. We are seeking a talented and experienced CFO that has been on leadership teams of growth stage companies, with a track record of success in revenue and profitability growth, capital efficiency, closing and integrating acquisitions, completion of debt and equity financings, ERP implementation, and sustainable organizational execution. Our CFO will be a close and trusted business partner to the CEO and the senior leadership team, be intimately involved in the corporate strategy, and be a key leader driving Crimson’s future growth.
With significant growth since commencing production operations in 2011, Crimson is at a critical juncture in its corporate life cycle. We are seeking a CFO that relishes this growth stage of a company’s evolution and has proven their ability to be a true impact player and a dynamic leader in analogous situations. The CFO will take great pride in helping grow enterprise value, completing operational and strategic initiatives, and achievement of the company’s mission to build a better, more sustainable energy future. This role will require a presence at our Denver office with regular travel to visit Company operations and explore new business opportunities in the Western U.S. The successful candidate will be a highly intelligent, self- confident, and collaborative leader who is a strong communicator and has the skill, experience, and appetite to work with executive team to analyze and act on opportunities for growth, and to assess and drive changes as needed in personnel, processes, and systems needed for Crimson to achieve the next level of performance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Providing strong leadership as a member of the executive team including strategic vision and tactical execution to drive revenue growth, profitability, and capital
- Building and managing a world class finance and accounting
- Ensuring a governance structure is in place to achieve sustainably effective and efficient operational execution that increases shareholder value and facilitates employee and organizational well-being.
- Accountable for all finance and accounting activities in the organization including management reporting.
- Leads and ensures all financial processes, required to support performance management and effective execution are in place, including strategic planning, annual operating plans, rolling forecasts, sales & operations planning, and supporting models for revenue/pricing, margin analysis/control, and capital expenditure planning and
- Ensures the financial reporting and supporting processes provide profitability analyses that can be drilled down to the business unit and regional level to assess direct, indirect, and fully burdened
- Successfully manage selection of and migration to a new ERP
- Leading roles in analyses and completion of acquisitions:
- Leads financial analyses of acquisitions targets
- Prepares proposals and terms sheets for acquisitions
- Lead role in due diligence of acquisition
- Lead role for legal and other transactional agreements / documents for completing acquisitions and any related
- Determine financing needs for debt and/or equity financing. Responsible for completion of and compliance with all term financing deals, including equipment / asset financing and lease arrangements.
- Assists in the implementation and/or maintenance of management control systems for other departments e.g. actual expenditure vs budget, product costing system, sales reporting and variance systems, and sales cost reporting, These reports will also be used by the Finance department to be informed of day to day trends and to suggest potential improvements when appropriate.
- Consolidates and communicates financial performance updates and comments to the Executive Team, lenders, shareholders and the
- Oversees the preparation of financial and other statistical reports necessary and required to control and assess the ongoing performance of the company vs its
- Collaborates with the senior leadership team to optimize materials procurement, manufacturing, engineering, and logistics and continuously drive improvements across all factors, and to ensure CAPEX projects tracking budget and meeting ROI
- Collaborates with COO and Used Cooking Oil / Restaurant Services management team to improve cost of account acquisition and improve performance versus key metrics such as cost per gallon
- Manages the IT staff to ensure the enterprise is supported with appropriate business intelligence and empowering systems, including the ERP and supporting modules suite of
- Ensures full compliance with all regulatory and contractual obligations, error free regulatory reporting, and efficient completion of the year end-end financial review and the publication of the audited consolidated financial
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with financial institutions, insurance brokers, auditors, finance and legal service
- Keep informed of innovations in financial and tax management through networking and professional
Education and Essential Business Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree required in related field plus an MBA, CPA and/or CMA (preferred)
- Experience in manufacturing and service delivery industries preferred
- Experience with commodities management, physical commodity trading, and related risk management is a significant plus
- A strong leader with the intellectual honesty, open mindedness, and rigor to defend their strategic direction and support it with data while considering the position of others
- An approachable personality with a strong appreciation for people at all levels in the organization. An ability to deliver under pressure
- A clearly evident capability built upon a long track record of integrity and professionalism that inspires trust and confidence from the senior leadership team and shareholders; ethics are never compromised
- Strong financing and working capital management acumen
- A 10-15 year track record in financial leadership positions driving a business through organic growth, acquisition -driven growth, with hands on experience in a manufacturing environment
- An ability and willingness to raise issues and drive resolution on topics, popular or unpopular, in the best interests of the company
- A demonstrated, detail oriented and principles first approach to problem solving rather than reliance on industry heuristics. An ability to explain those principles to others
- A willingness to prioritize building a cohesive company & culture over individual functional success
- An excellent communicator equally comfortable engaging with the CEO, all levels of the management team, manufacturing and UCO collection associates, investors, lenders, auditors, investment banks, and regulators
- Demonstrated leadership in high value negotiations in both win-win and win-lose scenarios with suppliers, partners, and customers, and government entities
- Competitive; commensurate with experience and education
- Strong performance-based annual bonus
- Participation in long term incentive plan
- Full benefits package which includes medical, vision, dental, 401k matching plan, life and supplemental disability insurance, and paid vacation, holidays and sick time
Contact for Qualified Candidates
For qualified candidates, please email resume to jobs-CFO@crimsonrenewable.com.