Crimson Renewable Energy and its subsidiary SeQuential Biodiesel are producers of renewable transportation fuels; specifically, we are the largest producer of biodiesel in California and Oregon. Crimson customers ranging from major oil companies such as Chevron, Valero, and Philips 66 to truck stop operators such as Pilot Flying J and Love’s count on Crimson as a reliable and consistent supplier of ultra-low carbon biodiesel.
Additionally, Crimson’s subsidiary SeQuential Environmental Services is one of the largest providers of used cooking oil and interceptor collection services in the Pacific Northwest and California.
Since commencing biodiesel production in Oregon in 2007 and in California in late 2011, Crimson and its SeQuential Biodiesel subsidiary have grown to become market leaders in the California and Oregon alternative fuels market, which combined represent the largest market for biodiesel in the United States. Our mission is to build a better energy model by making responsible, local, bioproducts.
Crimson currently employs over 250 people, and is a privately owned, closely-held company. Throughout its growth trajectory, Crimson has held onto its startup culture characterized by the pursuit of excellence combined with an emphasis on customer responsiveness, integrity, strong work ethic, teamwork, and accountability at all levels. In summary, we work very hard to do a better job than our competitors in operational and back-office execution and managing the myriad market and commodity risks inherent in our business.
About the job
Are you a talented, driven and experienced CFO that has been on the leadership team of growth stage companies? Crimson Renewable Energy is searching for a dynamic CFO to play a key role in improving operational effectiveness and efficiency and driving the company’s continued growth via organic growth initiatives and additional acquisitions.
You will need strong transactional experience (completion of debt and equity financings, acquisitions and asset divestitures) and a track record of success in profitability growth, capital efficiency, ERP implementation, back-office execution and commodity or trading risk management. Our CFO will be a close and trusted business partner to the CEO and the senior leadership team, be intimately involved in corporate strategy and be a key leader driving our company’s value creation. Additionally, the CFO needs to be an immediate impact player who is a hands-on, effective leader that thrives in highly dynamic and demanding industry and market environments.
The CFO will take great pride in helping grow enterprise value, completing transaction, operational and strategic initiatives, and achievement of the company’s mission. This role will require a presence at our Denver office with regular travel to visit Company operations and explore new business opportunities. The successful candidate will be a highly intelligent, self-confident, hands-on and collaborative leader who is a strong communicator and has the skill, experience, and appetite to work with the entire management team to analyze and act on opportunities for growth, and to assess and drive change in personnel, processes, and systems needed for us to achieve a higher level of performance.
- Providing strong leadership as a member of the executive team including strategic vision and tactical execution to drive revenue growth, cost reduction, profitability growth, and capital efficiency.
- Building and managing a world class finance and accounting team and accountable for all finance and accounting activities in the organization including management reporting.
- Leads and ensures all financial processes, required to support performance management and effective execution are in place, including strategic planning, annual operating budgets, capital expenditure planning and tracking, and supporting models for revenue/pricing, margin analysis/control, cash flow, financial forecasting.
- Ensures that financial reporting and supporting processes provide profitability and cost analyses that can be drilled down to the business unit and regional level to assess direct, indirect, and fully burdened profitability.
- Determine financing needs for debt and/or equity financing. Responsible for completion of and compliance with all term financing deals, including equipment / asset financing and lease arrangements and working capital line of credit.
- Successfully improve utilization and ongoing development of the Company’s ERP system.
- Successfully manage the establishment of a mid-office function and implementation of associated systems and processes to ensure effective risk management and governance, transaction confirmation, and position, P&L and risk reporting for multiple book structures
- Leading roles in analyses and completion of acquisitions:
- Leads financial analyses of acquisition targets
- Prepares proposals and terms sheets for acquisitions
- Lead role in financial and accounting due diligence of acquisition
- Lead role for legal and other transactional agreements / documents for completing acquisitions and any related financing.
- Consolidates and communicates financial performance updates and comments to the Executive Team, business unit leaders, company associates, ownership, and external stakeholders
- Ensures full compliance with all regulatory and contractual obligations, error free regulatory reporting, and efficient completion of the year end-end financial review and the publication of the audited consolidated financial statements.
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with financial institutions, insurance brokers, auditors, finance and legal service providers.
Education and Essential Business Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree required in related field plus an MBA, CPA and/or CMA (preferred)
- Experience in manufacturing and service delivery industries is strongly preferred
- Experience with commodities management, physical and futures/options commodity trading, and related risk management and mid-office functions is a very significant plus
- Transactional leadership experience with respect to sale of a company or asset divestitures and debt and equity financing
- A 10+ year track record in senior financial leadership positions driving a business through organic growth, acquisitions, working capital management, and financings
- A clearly evident capability built upon a long track record of integrity and professionalism that inspires trust and confidence from the senior leadership team and shareholders; ethics are never compromised
- A strong, hands-on leader with the intellectual honesty, open mindedness, and rigor to defend their position and ideas and support these with data while considering the position of others and not taking offence when challenged
- An approachable personality with a strong appreciation for working with highly driven and passionate executives as well with people at all levels in the organization
- Possesses the willingness and confidence to raise issues and drive resolution on topics, popular or unpopular, in the best interests of the company
- A demonstrated, detail oriented and principles first approach to problem solving rather than reliance on industry heuristics, and can explain his/her approach to others
- A willingness to prioritize building a cohesive company & culture and the success of his/her team over individual success