Crimson Renewable Energy and its subsidiary SeQuential Biodiesel are producers of renewable transportation fuels; specifically, we are the largest producer of biodiesel in California and Oregon. Crimson customers range from major oil companies, national truck stop chains and independent fuel retailers and wholesalers. Our customers count on Crimson as a reliable and consistent supplier of ultra-low carbon biodiesel.
Since commencing biodiesel production in Oregon in 2007 and in California in 2011, Crimson and its SeQuential Biodiesel subsidiary have grown to become market leaders in the California and Oregon alternative fuels market, which combined represent the largest market for biodiesel in the United States. Our mission is to build a better energy model by making sustainable ultra-low carbon fuels and help our customers achieve carbon reduction and sustainability goals.
Crimson has consistently grown revenue and profitability since startup, and is accelerating its growth trajectory. Crimson currently employs over 250 people, and is a privately owned, closely held company. Throughout its history, Crimson has held onto its startup culture characterized by the pursuit of excellence combined with an emphasis on customer responsiveness, integrity, strong work ethic, teamwork, safety and accountability at all levels. In summary, we work very hard to do a better job than our competitors in operational execution and managing the myriad market and commodity risks inherent in our business.
We are currently looking for a Commodities Buyer/Trader. This position entails sourcing and purchasing fats and oil feedstocks (i.e. distillers corn oil, animal fats, used cooking oil vegetable oil, soap stocks, etc) for multiple biodiesel production plants, monitoring market trends and factors that affect supply and pricing, and managing feedstock positions across multiple regions on a national basis. The ideal candidate would be located in Denver, Colorado , with the potential to be a remote position anywhere in the United States for highly qualified candidates.
- Sourcing and purchasing fats and oils feedstocks for multiple biodiesel production plants
- Identifying and establishing relationships with new fats and oils suppliers (domestically as well as internationally)
- Negotiating with suppliers and trading counterparties
- Daily monitoring of changes in feedstock markets and related commodities impacting such markets
- Ongoing monitoring and analysis of competitive environment, including purchase and sale prices of other market participants
- Identifying and executing profitable trading or arbitrage opportunities
- Working with Commodities Procurement colleagues to market excess or sub-optimal feedstock positions
- Developing pricing projections and estimations of logistics costs
- Working with Commodities Procurement colleagues to develop feedstock purchasing and pricing forecasts
- Minimum 3-5 years Fats and Oils trading, procurement or merchandising experience
- Strong knowledge of regional and overall domestic fats and oils markets; international fats and oils experience and knowledge is a plus
- Understanding of truck and rail freight, transloading, terminal storage, and related logistics
- Understanding of hedging and risk management is a plus
- Strong relationship management skills with respect to suppliers and trading counterparties and internal peers and stakeholder groups
- Independent quantitative and other analyses and rapid decision-making is required
- Comfortable working in a changing, fast-paced environment
- Capable of working independently while remaining committed to a team-oriented approach
- Travel is required
- Must be a strong, effective verbal and written communicator
Compensation and Benefits
Here at Crimson, we know how important it is to have a healthy work/life balance. When you onboard with us you will receive nine paid holidays per year, and you will start accruing PTO at a rate of 3 weeks per year. We offer a competitive benefits package that includes Health, Vision, Dental, complementary Life Insurance, and robust annual bonus and 401k programs.
If interested in this position, please apply below, and include a resume and cover letter describing why believe you are a good fit for this position. We look forward to hearing from you!